Wednesday, October 6, 2010

I am an addict.

Some people love wine or a good cigar.  Others like to travel.  Then there are people like me....who like to eat.  I have no idea why food is so important to me.  It has always been important to me.  My husband says me and my family ask "What's for lunch?" while we're having breakfast.  Then at lunch we ask "What's for dinner?" and at dinner we ask.....well, you get the picture. 

Monday was a good eating day, until I realized I was so full I could hardly move.  So Monday night I told my husband that because I have such an oral fixation, I think I need psychiatric help. I was asking him for suggestions on how I can control myself.  Here I am, all upset, wondering if I am ever going to be able to get a grip on myself and he is so NOT helpful!  I don't know what it is about men, but they don't really like to listen to their wife.  At least mine doesn't....he only had 2 suggestions for me, and the first one had nothing to do with eating....although it did involve my mouth.  Is that not such a man thing to say?  He did offer one nonsexual suggestion:  get a bunch of pictures of food that are gross.  Like pizza with cockroaches for toppings, or chocolate with maggots inside where the caramel should be.  But I think that might require even more psychotherapy!

At least cocaine addicts are thin.  Oh how I would like to be a size 5!  Even a size 10!  You would think that I could control myself, but I can't.

So, I am open to suggestions!  Please do not be mean....or nasty....or offensive.  I know there are people out there who know exactly how I feel, and they have managed to kick this addiction in the butt.  I need that inspiration.  I can't quit cold turkey.  I know it would probably take 3 years for me to starve to death, even if I never eat another bite, but that is not a reasonable solution.  Also, I don't want to go to a meeting where I have to introduce myself and learn 12 steps.  That is not for me either.  I want something fun, exciting, adrenaline pumping.....

If you are naturally thin, petite and cute, you are probably adorable, but I am very envious of you.  My idea of heaven would be to eat anything I want and never get any bigger than a size 5.  Then my little 4'11" body would be a little more evenly proportioned than looking like Violet in Willy Wonka after she has eaten the blueberry gum.  The only thing I have on Violet is that I am not purple. 

More to come............

Alias Mary Smith

1 comment:

  1. Wow.

    You're right, cocaine addicts ARE able to eliminate the source of their addiction, but food addicts need food to survive.

    Of course, it's not about what we know to do, it's doing what we know. The pain of remaining where we are has to be greater than the pain of change. I've never liked fear motivation, but you can't ignore the possibility of dying early from a heart attack, or suffering a physical- or mental impairment from a stroke, or developing some other lifestyle-altering condition, not to mention not seeing your grandbabies grow up.

    But you asked for some fun, exciting, adrenaline pumping ideas, so here's a few:

    1. Find an independent personal trainer who will push you to achieve your goals. This will require some interviewing to find the right one, and AT LEAST 3 months of time, preferably longer if you can afford it. They will have privileges at certain gyms, but will not be on the gym's payroll.
    2. Join a class like Jamba Dance or something similar...something that's fun more than just a workout.
    3. Enter yourself in some kind of event so you can train for it - like the MS150 or a race or some other kind of competition. Give yourself enough time to train and get into shape.
    4. Find an accountability partner who won't take no for an answer, someone whose opinion you respect (otherwise you won't care what they think of you when you start whining).
    5. Subscribe to Nutrition Action newsletter or something similar so you can find out what's really going on with your body and the foods you eat. You just think you already know it all.

    Just seeing your blog was actually very inspirational for me, and I have recommitted to my better health. I'll be fascinated to learn what works for you.

    ReplyDelete